In Persona 5 Royal the protagonist's ability to obtain multiple personas makes them incredibly flexible in their skills and capabilities. They do however have a canonical "Ultimate" persona, known as "Satanael." While Satanael can be used very briefly during the main story, accessing it in regular gameplay requires several extra steps.
Persona 5 Royal is a JRPG developed by Atlus and published by Sega. After being falsely accused of assault and moving to Tokyo to attend Shujin Academy during their probation, the protagonist discovers a hidden world formed by human cognition. With the aid of an ever-increasing group of like-minded allies, they set out to steal the distorted desires of humanity and improve the world by taking advantage of this strange "Metaverse."
Satan Saves Christmas
In order to unlock Satanael players must first complete the game, achieving either the true ending of the original Persona 5 or one of the two new endings added in Royal. To achieve the original true ending, players need only refuse the God of Control's offer to "Return the World to the way it was" and defeat them on Christmas Eve. This is sufficient to complete the original true ending and thus unlock Satanael for new game plus.
Alternatively, players who meet the requirements to enter the new "Third-Term" section of the game will instead need to either accept or reject the new reality when the option is presented to them. Choosing to accept it ends the game there while rejecting it allows players to face the final boss of Persona 5 Royal. Either option will unlock Satanael for new game plus.
In New Game Plus, assuming the criteria above were met, it is now possible for players to fuse Satanael in the Velvet Room. Satanael is created via an advanced fusion using six other personas, some of which can only be acquired by completing Confidants.
- Arsene: The protagonist's initial Persona, easy to obtain by resummoning from the Compendium.
- Anzu: First seen in Futaba's Palace, this persona can also be easily resummoned from the Compendium assuming players recruited it at least once in Futaba's Palace.
- Ishtar: The Ultimate Persona of the Lovers Arcana, unlocked by completing Ann Takamaki's Confidant. Once done this persona can be fused using Uriel and Kali.
- Satan: Ultimate Persona of the Judgement Arcana, unlocked by completing Sae Nijima's Confidant (which must be completed to reach any ending that would unlock Satanael anyway.) Fused using Abbadon and any Treasure Demon, or using Raphael and Kali.
- Michael: A Justice Persona created by fusing Raphael, Gabriel, and Uriel.
- Lucifer: The Ultimate Persona of the Star Arcana, unlocked by completing Hifumi Togo's Confidant. Created via an advanced fusion using Trumpeter, Michael, Satan, Metatron (Ultimate Justice), Ananta, and Anubis.
As a level 95 Persona, players must have Joker at level 95 to fuse Satanael, unless they have maxed out the Strength Confidant (allowing them to bypass level requirements using money).
Satanael has no weaknesses, resisting all elements except for Curse and Bless. Satanael absorbs Curse and blocks Bless completely, leaving him with no weak points at all. By default, he possesses the skills Maegion (Heavy Curse damage to all foes), Megidolaeon (Severe Almighty Damage to all foes), Riot Gun (Severe Gun Damage to all foes), and Survival Trick (Survive a lethal blow with 1 HP remaining). He also inherits many powerful skills from the personas used to fuse him and possesses the "Pagan Allure" trait which increases all magic damage by 50%.
This all makes Satanael an incredibly powerful persona right from the start, but he also gains some powerful and useful skills as he levels up. Black Viper allows him to inflict severe almighty damage to a single target, Tyrant's Mind strengthens all attacks by 25% (stacking with Pagan Allure for +75% magic damage), Heat Riser allows him to buff Attack/Defense/Agility on a single target, and Victory Cry allows him to fully restore Joker's HP and SP at the end of every battle.
Persona 5 Royal is available now for PS4, and available for Xbox and PC on October 21, 2022.